- Events Calendar
- Arts & Culture
- Live Entertainment
- History & Heritage
- Day Trips
- Outdoor Adventure
- Attractions & Entertainment
- Farmers Markets
- Wineries & Breweries
- Kid Friendly
- Health, Fitness & Wellness
- Hidden Gems Nearby
- Coronavirus Information
- Getting Here
- Getting Around
- Travel Planning Guide
- Traveling With Pets
- Weddings, Parties & Celebrations
- University of Minnesota Rochester
- Rochester MN App
Rochester, MN's Ice Bars are Back
Tips for enjoying SocialICE 2020
Just because it’s cold doesn’t mean there aren’t plenty of fun things to do in Rochester, MN! SocialICE is the city's premier winter event held Feb. 6, 7 and 8. Location details are still being determined; please stay tuned to the SocialICE event page; this is one ice-bar festival you will not want to miss!
“SocialICE is a completely unique winter experience,” says Monika Kopet, Events Manager with the Rochester Downtown Alliance, which organizes the event. “It [SocialICE] is designed to allow attendees to break out of cabin fever and actively embrace the colder months. One of our 2018 attendees said it best, 'Minnesotans know how to make the best of a cold situation! It's the coolest thing I've seen in Rochester.'"
Learn the essentials of when to go and where to park and review these 10 tips to making the most of this wondrous outing:
1. Wear your warmest mittens because you’ll be cozying up to seven themed ice bars this year, each featuring a signature drink. Also get around to the downtown bars to discover what they’re featuring during SocialICE.
2. Direct your eyes to life-sized, fully illuminated ice sculptures. Be sure to hit the ‘Wall of Ice’ for a memorable photo opp.
3. Be prepared for droves of people. This is ‘the’ place to hang out! In its debut year of 2009 roughly 250 people attended SocialICE but it has grown every year, and the most the event has attracted is 51,000 people in 2018.
5. Forget about the cold! “It’s part of the fun,” Kopet says. “The experience really takes over and you forget about the cold when you’re with your favorite people enjoying a warm drink, dancing to the live DJ music, and taking in all of the different aspects of the event.”
6. However, since the temps are never guaranteed, the talented SocialICE ice carvers use dry ice techniques to preserve their works of art and avoid the odds of them melting on warmer weather days. Though SocialICE is geared for attendees who are 21 years or older, kids do enjoy seeing the sculptures, so bring the family on down by day or in the early evening to see the creations and enjoy FAM JAM from 1-4pm Saturday.
7. Speaking of kiddos at SocialICE, stay tuned to the SocialICE Facebook page for details on how you and your family can plug into the event and experience the ice and wintery fun before the main event.
8. OK, you’re maybe a tad bit cold? No worries! Visit a fire pit near the event entrance to get warmed up before returning to your tour of the outdoor ice bars, then play some bean bags to get your blood flowing.
9. This SocialICE is bound to be the best one yet -- and we're not just saying that. Kopet says, "There are many brand-new activities in store for attendees in 2020 thanks to our great community partners. We're excited to reveal the details in coming weeks, so stay tuned!"
10. All those photos you’re snapping? Tag Downtown Rochester MN using #SocialICE.
- There will be a heated restroom trailer.
- Wear your warmest winter weather gear, including hats, mittens, scarves and parkas.
- You’ll find convenient parking at downtown ramps, which are free after 5 p.m., and you can easily walk to/from the event via the heated skyway system.
- 2020 hours of SocialICE are Thursday, Feb. 6, from 5 to 9 p.m. and Friday and Saturday, Feb. 7-8 from 4 to 10 p.m.
- You can hit nearby ATMs for cash, as cash is encouraged for payment of those signature drinks everyone will be raving about.
Discover more Winter Fun in Rochester, MN.