- Tug of War: Mark Rothko and Pop Art - Art History Lecture
- Presented By: Rochester Art Center
- Dates: October 27, 2020
- Location: Rochester Art Center
- Address: 40 Civic Center Drive SE, Rochester, MN 55904
- Phone: (507) 282-8629
- Time: 6:00 PM
- Price: $5 General Admission, RAC Members FREE
Join Rochester Art Center Artistic Director, Dr. Sheila Dickinson, for an evening art history lecture and discussion about Mark Rothko. Dickinson taught modern art history for many years, most recently at Macalester College.
RED by John Logan is a play that explores the challenges of Pop Art toward the already established Abstract Expressionism in mid-20th Century America. Mark Rothko imbues into his large color soaked canvases his own existential crisis while his new studio assistant, energized by Pop Art’s new bright and seemingly vacuous style questions Rothko’s work.